Nith 2021.

tote

Gave it a bash on Saturday afternoon with worm and spinner, nowt touched or seen, except for this washed up on the bank. Must be someone above me getting desperate.?
20211016_153802.jpg

We got an extra 12-14" on the river yesterday so it was back down this morning with the worm and spinners and what a dreich morning it was. Have to admit I got lazy today and it cost me, got thanked up with the flying c but after a tug of war out it popped. Checked it to find a hook had opened, instead of changing the lure I just pressed it back in, aye you'll know what happened next. 20 min later hooked into a fish about 8-10lb which came clean out of the water and off, reeled into see this. Will I ever learn.?
20211018_110827.jpg

That was the only offer of the morning, not even a troot nipping the worms.

elwyman

A friend just phoned me as he drives up the M6 to fish the Nith at Barjarg.
He heard a few fish were caught up and down the river last week, so he decided to give it a go.

Last edited:

tote

A friend just phoned me as he drives up the M6 to fish the Nith at Barjarg.
He heard a few fish were caught up and down the river last week, so he decided to give it a go.
Sorry for the late reply, I haven't heard of anything being caught to be honest, there's also next to nobody been fishing.
One Saturday I drove down to Scaurfoot at 1.30pm, car park was empty as were the others on the way down, I fished from there down to Hedge End, never seen another angler, that would've been unthinkable years ago.

I've had the lad that runs the Upper Nithsdale beat messaging me asking if there's anything doing and telling me it's been
shockingly poor up there, also had the lad that does the reports for the Trout and Salmon and FishNith on the phone hoping for good news, both agree it's been the worst season in living memory, canny dress it up any other way I'm afraid.

elwyman

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't heard of anything being caught to be honest, there's also next to nobody been fishing.
One Saturday I drove down to Scaurfoot at 1.30pm, car park was empty as were the others on the way down, I fished from there down to Hedge End, never seen another angler, that would've been unthinkable years ago.

I've had the lad that runs the Upper Nithsdale beat messaging me asking if there's anything doing and telling me it's been
shockingly poor up there, also had the lad that does the reports for the Trout and Salmon and FishNith on the phone hoping for good news, both agree it's been the worst season in living memory, canny dress it up any other way I'm afraid.
It's all very sad to hear such a fine river struggling.
My friend intended to fish for 3 days but he packed in after 2 days. He didn't see or touch a single fish, despite decent water conditions.

luney

Gave it a bash on Saturday afternoon with worm and spinner, nowt touched or seen, except for this washed up on the bank. Must be someone above me getting desperate.?
View attachment 94168

We got an extra 12-14" on the river yesterday so it was back down this morning with the worm and spinners and what a dreich morning it was. Have to admit I got lazy today and it cost me, got thanked up with the flying c but after a tug of war out it popped. Checked it to find a hook had opened, instead of changing the lure I just pressed it back in, aye you'll know what happened next. 20 min later hooked into a fish about 8-10lb which came clean out of the water and off, reeled into see this. Will I ever learn.?
View attachment 94169

That was the only offer of the morning, not even a troot nipping the worms.
Aye I think we've all done that one? its always strikingly obvious once we lose a fish after.