places to target mullet near swansea

fordfly

Hey all im going to give fly fishing for mullet and bass a go this year and could use some advice regarding marks to fish? Anywhere in and around swansea would be ideal? Thanks in advance andy

plotter

burry port harbour for mullet, last time i was there, there were loads of them stuck in there. Pembrey for bass i would say, or langland

fordfly

Thanks plotter,ill give them a go in a month or so! I used to fish pembrey a lot about 15 years ago id firgotten how good it cld be! Thanks again!

sewinbasher

The thick lipped grey mullet record and few of the other big ones came from Aberthaw but I think the lagoons that produced them may have been filled in now. The top end of Rhosilli beach (Llangennith) is one of the few places where you can catch golden grey mullet in the UK.

Hugh Falkus

The thick lipped grey mullet record and few of the other big ones came from Aberthaw but I think the lagoons that produced them may have been filled in now..

Is this very recently? Someone whose uncle held the previous BRRC mullet record offered to guide me, about 2 years ago, to the exact spot, which still yields huge mullet. To my regret I never went.

sewinbasher

Is this very recently? Someone whose uncle held the previous BRRC mullet record offered to guide me, about 2 years ago, to the exact spot, which still yields huge mullet. To my regret I never went.
It was something I heard, based on what you say it might not be true.

fordfly

Thanks for the info sewinbasher! I think i saw a programe on discovery shed a while back where they targeted golden greys they caught a few too! Im planning ahead incase we get the low water we had last year! That should mean pleanty of rain lol

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Daz, put a pic up of some of your doubles!

JJ1 - you could too!

Hoppy

S

silverinvicta

H,He, I been looking for those pics myself on the old forum....Only last year i was watching, with Steve, several Mullet that were all into double figures, on one of the estuary's near Swansea, so they're still there.
Also some Golden Grey's can be caught from Morfa beach... But access is difficult as its a private beach.....

Si.....

DAZ

You got some really good marks almost on your door step mate.

The fishing on one of them can be quite superb on it's day.Myself and fellow forum member Ren caught it right one day last year,takeing well over 100 bass ( On the fly ) in a couple of hours fishing,mostly school fish but,good fun all the same.It does produce some very big fish also,with my personal best bass from there being a little over 12lb,fish between 3 and 6lb are common.There are stacks of mullet there to and some are huge fish,i've taken 4 over 10lb and know of a few more of this size caught by others.They can be a bugger to tempt,but again,one the day,when they are on the feed,they can be as easy to catch has any other fish,you just need a bit of luck.....

I'll wing a pm to you with a couple of marks to try ;) EDIT; Better still,wing one to me with your phone number and I'll give you a bell.

DAZ

fordfly

Thanks daz all help very appreciated! My biggest bass was around 3lb on a carp rod so i cant imagine the scrap on the fly a double would put up!lol when would u start to target them? Ill pm u later with my number! Thanks again andy

sewinbasher

Thanks for the info sewinbasher! I think i saw a programe on discovery shed a while back where they targeted golden greys they caught a few too! Im planning ahead incase we get the low water we had last year! That should mean pleanty of rain lol
If that was Matt Hayes then it was on the beach at Llangennith.

fordfly

Thats the one sewinbasher! They were fishing with bait if i remember correctly? I'll have a go when i get some spare time:) lol

fordfly

Do you remember what estury that was si? We used to get some huge shoals of mullet swimming up the tawe when i was a kid,i used to spend hours trying to catch them on bread with many many missed takes! I did manage to catch a few small sewin though! I never did understand how/why maybe just down to movement?

S

silverinvicta

Trout will take bread without hesitation once they've been introduced to it... Theres a tiny brook not far from where i live , its called the Colby River.. Just where it runs under a main rd into the sea, a side road follows it for several hundred yds, it's a favorite spot to feed the ducks cos you can park alongside the retaining wall. The Trout swim under the ducks in about a foot of water hoovering up the bread that sinks..I would say fish up to around a pound, though i did have one a few yrs ago around 3lb from the same length...
The same thing happens in Castletown on the tidal Silverburn.. where thats all the kids fish with..Bread. Rainbows and Browns.

Si....

PM sent...

fordfly

That makes sense si,they must have seen pleanty of bread by the time they took mine! If only the mullet would've taken the bread so well,some of them were huge!!