River Dovey 2

Andy R

Andy,

I don't disagree strongly I just think we as an angling community are being expected to shoulder the burden of conservation for all our salmonids, admitted we are the most interested in them, with perhaps the exception of professional netsmen- who rarely C&R anything.

I take your point on fishmongers, I can only speak from my group of friends who ten years ago would take ( in accordance with the rules) three fish ( salmon) in Scotland and when fishing the rivers around here another four or five salmon during the rest of the season, on our autumn trip they may have a couple more.....But without fail all of they abide by the new rules and indeed put fish back voluntarily now, I think we've kept one between us in three years now, they understand the importance for their sons and future generations that its just not sustainable. Of course there are fishmongers still about, but I've met far fewer in the last five years.....indeed ( and I'm not making a point here) you're more likely to meet a C&R zealot nowadays!

We realise runs of fish are not as sustainable as they were and hope that one day a harvestable surplus will exist again, I'd not think of taking numbers of seatrout from a river other than the Dovey, and then I'm restrained, and confident in the strength of the run of fish. Contrast this with the nith....if I were to fish that river for seatrout I'd put all seatrout back, come what may....if you cared for the long term future of that river you'd be mad to deprive it of any spawning stock.

Good to debate in a non confrontational manner, I don't think we're as far apart as some would think....right I'm off to the Dovey, need to get the tackle in the car!

Sandmartin

I'm a new member, although I have lurked for a bit. I was really very surprised to see crewefishers photo, not because I was upset, let alone "disgusted", but because the rise of catch and release zealotry has made a picture like that very rare. I am delighted that there are still rivers in the uk where the stock is robust enough to take a bag like that. I was shocked by polecat's rather venomous response, however, because it does not seem that kind of forum. Hey ho I guess some people just think it's ok to be unpleasantly rude on these forums and say things they would probably not say on the river bank face to face. I don't. That said neither the photo nor the overreaction has put me off being a member. I did like the suggestion of a new thread on c & r on the general board as I agree it is totally unfair to relate this to one man's photo and it seems enough people on here have an opinion. Anyone willing to start one?

Andy R

Sandmartin,

Feel free to start a thread on it, I support C&R on all rivers where the stocks of fish are unsustainable, but were they are sustainable I'll take some fish to eat, its an important part of game fishing for me.

The difference with Polecats contribution ( and I mean that in the loosest sense of the word) was he was personally insulting, couldn't form a constructed argument and contradicted himself between posts. I think we've seen him before, and Springer took a look at his posts and banned him shortly after ( good riddance).

The Dovey has a sustainable run, and has had returns around 1700 to 2000 each year for the last decade, the numbers of small fry and Parr in the river is massive, so it appears to have a healthy and sustainable seatrout population, if this changed I'd be happy to move to catch and release.

Andy

Sandmartin

I am not sorry to see polecat go; I looked at some of his other posts and he seems to be be a fight starter. I also think eating some of what I catch makes the whole experience better. If no one starts a c&r thread I might have a go.

jj1

Here here Andy, i choose not to retain any of my south wales sewin or salmon for over 5 years bcoz of the state of our runs down here, my folks love the taste of them and i would dearly love the option if stocks permit to allow me to one day retain a few for or them. As it is they have to content themselves with bass and mackrell, but even they are now on the decline.....!
i have no qualms with cnr junkies either, many of my mates who have joined our sport have come in from a coarse background and all they do is practice 2nr, so there is room for a section dedicated to that but just dnt be offendf he sight of the odd 2ar2as

Last edited:

Sandmartin

Have no fear, the sight of carcasses does not in anyway offend me. I.m not actually a great fan on c&r although accept it as necessary in SOME rivers. I have just eaten a significant portion of a 3lb sea trout from the north of Scotland and think that eating some of the fish I catch makes fishing better for me. What I had in mind was a debate on the pro,s and cons but I did not think this was the right thread for it. Crewefisher posted some nice pics and his thread has been somewhat high jacked!

Lawrence85

I find myself astounded that people think you can harm a well managed river with what you catch on rod and line. Some people need to broaden they're horizons and look at the bigger. It obviously isn't rod and line that is damaging our stocks. I think if the fish you kill end up on your table then take what you want according to the rules.

hollyfish

Ethics on number of Sea Trout retained.

It's up to the individual how many fish he retains, however, I personally never take more than a brace in any one session.

I was once lucky to catch 17 in a session, however, I only took a brace for the table; I was questioned, regarding why I did not take any more!

If the fishery management allow x - fish to be retained per session, they may need to question their ethics and, indeed culture!

I think we are all quite lucky to fish for these wonderful specimens and suggest we endeavour to help retain the Sea Trout and Salmon runs.

hollyfish.

Andy B

Wow am I enjoying seeing all these picture threads like a kid in a sweet shop.
Just seeing the size of the Dovey shows me how these large fish get landed as oppose to the small river I fish.
I now have a general size limit for releasing anything over five pounds but I can empathise with the poster here as someone who pays 80 bats a year and on reflection have had nothing but small school fish for three years, nobody should begrudge the angler who takes a few for the table.

Andy B

It's up to the individual how many fish he retains, however, I personally never take more than a brace in any one session.

I was once lucky to catch 17 in a session, however, I only took a brace for the table; I was questioned, regarding why I did not take any more!

If the fishery management allow x - fish to be retained per session, they may need to question their ethics and, indeed culture!

I think we are all quite lucky to fish for these wonderful specimens and suggest we endeavour to help retain the Sea Trout and Salmon runs.

hollyfish.
Re the ethics of game fishing I can think of a few examples where some friends thought I was crazy.
Two examples where I know I could of filled my boots. One in 2012 the last time the river had a large run of fresh October salmon. Mr Fitzwilliams the river owner and owner of the cottage put me onto his favourite pool near the Rugby field Newcastle Emlyn and first time I’d used the worm I caught an 18lb salmon, said to be a blue back as it was sea liced and like a springer. Probably would of retained it anyway but I didn’t like how it had swallowed the hook. That pool was stuffed with fresh salmon and I packed up after one cast and one fish.
Second example was on a deep salmon pool on the Dwyfor, using the freelined shrimp for the first and only time. Five casts and each time the shrimp was shelled without me detecting the takes. Six cast I thought I was snagged on the bottom and pulled for a break when the snag moved and rocketed up to the surface🤯
Again that pool had a good number of salmon in it, yet because I didn’t detect the take I just didn’t take any satisfaction from catching that fish and as before I never cast in again and had to haul the fish back two miles.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I guess the man who went off on one about C&R would never understand how an angler who doesn’t fish purely for sport can turn down a C&R red letter day after taking their one salmon for the year🙄
Sadly after the Autumn runs collapsed, taking Salmon for the table in England and Wales is no longer viable but for the ridiculous hours I put in, and if I know there’s a decent run of sea trout I’m not gonna be made to feel like criminal for taking a few choice fish that I know my family will enjoy eating and not waste a single bit.

Ok rant over with on a thread that saw the bloke banned anyway