River Dovey 2013

jimac

well done shane
can you point some of them troots up towards the nith :D
spoke to your dad on the phone a few days ago,he is finding it hard work up here aswell

jim.

crewefisher

Jim just been out on border esk with my dad, afew herling showing, we both lost a couple but its so hard going!!

reservoirobert

Off to that wonderful little river the South Esk via the Lake District on Wednesday evening. There has been no water for the last few weeks with the gauge showing -8 inches for much of the month but a little better now with plus 7 inches yesterday , not enough though I would have thought. Hope to hear some good reports on the Dovey when I get back.

Andy R

Best of luck on the south esk Bob, I will be back on the dovey Wednesday or Friday, apparently the recent rain has freshened things up and the water's cooled down, no flood but fish back on the take...

Andy

Andy R

Rain all day here at home, about 40 miles from the river, must be enough to have an effect on the Dovey, sure enough was at night fishing level (900) at 1pm, then shooting up to 1.4m by 4pm with no sign of abating. Suggest we may have a decent flood by tomorrow, almost certainly a flag. I shall be there later in the afternoon when its cleared a little, dusting off the switch rod tonight....

Andy

Andy R

Update 1st & 3rd August

Went on Thursday night, missed the best of it, one angler had had 5 and lost 5 in the morning when there was another foot on it, took my switch rods but with only 1300 on the gauge I would have been better with my #6 weight altmor single handed....didn't get anything. A friend got a 4lb grilse from the upper reaches, but in summary not enough of a flood, it peaked at 1800 and was back down to 1500 at 9am.

Went last night, was 1250 on the gauge, heavy thunder showers had put a tint in the river, fished a middle reaches pool, plenty of fish showing, and had the pool to myself, only got there at 9.30 pm, went to the run above, had a bright sewin which I returned, then in the main pool had a 2lber on a sewincaster di-3 tip, badly hooked so kept it. Then despite lots of fish moving, including some big ones up into double figures couldn't get another take. In the end said `last cast` to myself at 1am and promptly had a crunching take and a bright 2lb 8 ozer, then tiredness set in, threw two casts up the far bank trees ( pool is heavily treed) and checked the pressure, falling pressure from 1008 to 1005.... no wonder it was quiet. Just got to the car when rain started.

I got both fish in the same part of the pool, no more than 3 foot deep, I think this was the only part of the pool that the fish could see the fly, the bigger fish in the deeper part either couldn't see the fly or didn't want to take, a little frustrating as the were moving all night, heard at least 50 fish move till 1.30am.

Andy R

Last edited:

Andy R

UPDATE 7th August

There was a decent flood nearly 2m on Monday which flushed a lot of rubbish out of the river, but that dreaded four letter word ( work) prevented me getting to the river, nor on Tuesday which apparently was a great fishing day. Consumed by enthusiasm I tried to go night fishing last night with 1300 still on the gauge, I started in the same pool as last Saturday, which fishes well from 1200 down, but was well and truly ottered just before I started at 10.25pm, not only did they fish the pool they caught a fish about 5 lb , dragged it out on the far bank, making one hell of a noise, then had an argument about it. I think they might have been drunk.

Nothing in that pool ( or rather nothing that would take as they were frightened witless) went down river and fished dolglennan run, had a pull from a sewin but nothing else and the flow/was far too strong. Finished off on the bridge pool on the upper reaches on the was back home, but nothing, so knocked it on the head a 1am. You always learn something going fishing, last nights lesson was 1300 IS TOO HIGH FOR NIGHTFISHING STUPID.

Will be going Friday night once the levels drop a little....river very quite over the last couple of weeks, I think most of the locals have had enough in what has been a good June and great July, but I've not quite had enough and after loosing 3 biggies this year want another crack at a big one when the water settles. If only every year was as good a night fishing year as this.

Andy R

reservoirobert

South Esk
Andy , not very good on the South Esk. When I got there on the Saturday the river had risen a shade and odd fish had been caught on the Thurs / Fri but my week starts on the Monday and by then the river had dropped back to very low , I was surprised how quick it had fallen and how low but with June & July mainly dry I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised.
I caught a coloured sea trout about 2lb Monday late evening and was pleased to have avoided a blank, by Wednesday it was hardly worth fishing. The beat I fish , Aldbar , used to have a dam at the bottom end and this used to retain a good level but under a policy of returning rivers to their natural state this has been breached and in low water most of our water is very low, about a foot lower than it used to be.
The North Esk was even lower and in the glens was beginning to dry up, I was told both rivers have had a very poor season, Finavon Castle on the South Esk a prestigious beat had only had 13 sea trout all season the last time I looked this week.
Still fishing was only intended to be an odd couple of hours here and there and the amount of wildlife we saw was amazing, an eagle, osprey , dolphins , otter and numerous deer , can't wait to get back there. Looks like there are still fish running the Dovey.

Andy R

Bob,

Sounds like you had a good time, despite the fishing, I spoke to Neil our ghillie on gallery on the north Esk, he said apart from a couple of good weeks in may, the seasons been a disaster......

As for my Dovey season, it may well be over, my wife had a bit of a pregnancy scare on Thursday night ( something called an abruption- look it up on Wikipedia as long as your wife's not pregnant- it'll scare you witless) so there was no night fishing for me on Friday night, nor Saturday, she only got out of hospital on Sunday, I was looking after our little lad.....the upshot is I need to be close to her in case of any further emergency. Unless she comes with me, I suspect I'll be limited to the Welsh Dee ( a mate has access to a private beat near the ceriog junction) where we can drive down to the river for a picnic, or maybe a day or so on the Dovey while she is with her mum, she's due end of September, so unless I get a treat day or two on the Tweed in November I've had it for this year.

There should still be plenty of clean fish in, the season was late, so think of it in run terms as the last week in July!

Andy R

tote

Hope everything goes well for you and your missus Andy and the wee one arrives safe and sound in September.

Andy R

Cheers guys, I hope to have one last hurrah after the salmon once junior has arrived, at the moment we think that might be early.... other than that the autumn period should at least allow time for plenty of fly tying. On the bright side I'm convinced I've hooked three doubles this season, perhaps next season I'll land them!

Andy