River Tamar & Tributaries

otisthedog

Sorry for the total lack of reports so far. I'm only half a season late :eek:

In brief. Sea trout on the Tamar system has been, so far, a non-event. We should be up to 50-100 fish by now. We have caught 10. Water too high for all of the summer so far, not many fish seen either.
On the other hand, we would usually be up to approx 5 salmon by now. Mr Tandem from this very forum lost his second and our 23rd at the net yesterday AM. He is probably still drying out.
So, a very good early salmon season this year. Out of 22 fish only two grilse, the rest 8-15lb, deep-bodied shiners. 19 fish released. Rumours of a 20lber landed at Endsleigh in the last few days and at least a couple of fish around 18lb caught on the river. Splendid!
Rivers unfishable yet again today... but we will see what wonderful dry, sunny weather the weekend brings :p

Sorry for being slack!

Tim

tandem

He will have emptied it , no doubt using a strange and complicated skagit set-up and a fly like a blackbird lol .
I did get profoundly wet on Thursday , wet in a way only a fish would understand . I lost a nice fish at the net , I'm sorry Otis wasn't there to enjoy the swearing , he would have been moved to tears . I caught a peal too . What on earth it wanted a two inch Garry Dog for I have no idea .
I shall be back , the Tamars murky waters are strangely attractive and have renewed an interest in Salmon fishing .

otisthedog

And how did you get on at Queenie?
When? Have been wracking my small brain and I think I have fished it three times, brief sessions all. One fish landed, one lost, one total blank. Getting downhearted with the peal fishing this year as have been flooded out on almost all opportunities! This weather has turned me into a fair weather fisher. Must be getting old

Last edited:

otisthedog

He will have emptied it , no doubt using a strange and complicated skagit set-up and a fly like a blackbird lol .
I did get profoundly wet on Thursday , wet in a way only a fish would understand . I lost a nice fish at the net , I'm sorry Otis wasn't there to enjoy the swearing , he would have been moved to tears . I caught a peal too . What on earth it wanted a two inch Garry Dog for I have no idea .
I shall be back , the Tamars murky waters are strangely attractive and have renewed an interest in Salmon fishing .
Strange and complicated? It's actually bodged and unwieldy I'll have you know :D.
Indeed, the Tamar is on form for salmon this year. Confirmed 20lber from Endsleigh and have heard of 3 fish at 18lb. Up to 25 fish at the Arundell Arms now. Tandem booked for Thursday... should be in good order. Watch this space

Last edited:

tandem

Tandem fears no flood . With his horribly formed mutant bonefish line and garish waddington he makes small beer of big water .

otisthedog

Salmon landed on fly yesterday on one of our Tamar beats yesterday, 8 1/2lb... just before yet another rise. Tamar filthy and huge YET again this morning. Even Tandem's waddington will likely be lost in the brown torrent. Bring on this week of dry weather. Hmmmm.

otisthedog

Total of 27 salmon now. 10lber yesterday, 4lb fresh grilse already this morning... both on spinner. Tamar should be in better order for fly tomorrow. Four sea trout to 5lb landed yesterday on the Lyd... spinning in the murk