River Taw

Tawpug

A fresh seven pounder for a lucky rod in Junction on Thursday night. The odd fish continues to creep in.

TP

plankton

Currently 2 nights into the 3 night session and mixed results so far. Water is desperately low but Friday night on the Mole was incredible. A lot of fish showing, especially in the first hour after dark and between 2 and 3am. I had a tug first cast and that set the scene... I rapidly lost count of the number of tweaks and pulls but they were not looking at a fast fly and only tweaking a slow one. In the end I hooked properly 5 and landed 3. A coloured 6-7lber, a fresh 3lber and a bright peal of around a pound. Scaled down to a 5wt due to the conditions and in combination with a 2" foxy lady on a full floating line did the damage. Surface lure only produced a couple of swirls. The rod I was fishing had a similar experience having countless offers landing a colouring 2lber and losing 4 others. I also had a 1.5lb brownie which is the biggest I have ever seen from the river.

Last night on the main stem of the lower Taw, a very encouraging number of fish were showing in the hour before dark (mostly peal with a few better fish) but it all went very quiet after the green went out of the grass. No joy on the floating line but trawling a big fly on a slow sinker through an almost static deep hole resulted in a couple of gentle takes that I missed. Strip striking the third offer saw 3-4lber go airborne that I lost on the second jump. Later a change to a surface lure in a shallow tail also resulted in a firm lock up, but that one inexplicably fell off after around a minute to a howl of anguish! After almost nothing showing from 10.30-1am, in the 2nd half of the night they started jumping again. It is a beat i am yet to work out. Holds a lot of fish but not sure where the taking places are. On both night there have been fish splashing up through the stickles and bow waving into the tail of pools. Dawn has been quiet.

One more night to go, back on the Mole.....Happy days.

Update: last night on the Mole was good. The beat was full of 1-2lb bright silver peal. 9 brought to net and a similar number lost between 3 rods. It included a couple a hour after after the sky had started to lighten in the east. Fish showing regularly throughout a very dark and sultry night. The river is shrunken...framed by bleached gravel but the seatrout are running. Tight lines to all Taw rods for the rest of the season. I love your river.

Last edited:

Tawpug

Brilliant stuff Plankton, I'm glad you are having fun. Will give it a go on Saturday and see what happens.

Tawpug

Tawpug

Now we need rain and quickly! I have never seen the river so low

Dancing now

TP

plankton

Keep dancing! its going to take a few more days of rain to offset the soil moisture deficit. Drove over river at Umberleigh yesterday. I also have never seen the river that low.

Tawpug

What a shocker!

Low water doesn't describe it.

With one or two exceptional moments, a truly hopeless Salmon and Sea Trout year. Lets hope some fish get up onto the redds and lets hope the juveniles get through the onslaught of predators to return again.

I am told that there are good numbers of Salmon and Sea Trout in the upper Taw. The work on the weirs (particularly Colleton) might be paying off. For news see here: http://www.rivertawfisheries.co.uk/html/current_news.html

Seasons Greetings

Tawpug