Smoking the catch

holloway

Has anyone got advice on this subject ,have done a few with an abu smoker and oak chips ,was a little dissapointed to be honest ,maybe i should work harder with the marinade interested in your views.

holloway

I have only smoked one sea trout to be honest, and that was one that i froze at the start of last season .It was ok but not near so good as the ones i have sent to the fishmongers .But then Rome wasnt built in a day any advice welcomed .

highplains

Sea trout are the only fish I occasionally kill for the pot. If you fancy a meal fit for a king, try frying them in a pan with bacon. Mt wife loves a breakfast cooked that way: fantastic.

Haptonlad is right though you tube will certainly give you the answer.

Enjoy!!¬

weatherman

For best results on smoking your catch, the preparation is a must. You have to "brine" the fish first, which means soaking it overnight in a salt, soy sauce (or Worcester) and brown sugar solution. After this, rinse thoroughly and dry either naturally for around 45mins or dabbing with kitchen roll. When completely dry, place in the pre-heated smoker, as you are using a hot smoker. Depending on the amount you are smoking, a fillet of around a pound in weight will take between 12 and 15 minutes to smoke, for more than 1 fillet add between 3 and 5 minutes per fillet. Hope this helps.

holloway

Thanks for tips ,have just tried a rainbow that i soaked for 24 hours in brine and sugar solution and what a difference !!