PATTERN (1)

"JAMBO"

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 1

DAZ
PATTERN (2)
Heres another couple on the Jambo theme.

DAZ.

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 1

PATTERN (3)

BLUE & GRIZZLE SNAKE

DAZ

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 1

PATTERN (4)

A NEST OF BLACK & BLUE VIPERS, pretty but with a bite...:D Dressed by Daz to Stumpys dressing instructions.

Some of the 'Fussy Dastards' (daz) snakes.....;) (so stump says)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWES

PATTERN 1
Ian used to tie snakes with commercial lumi mylar but found it to be too bright and probably counterproductive. The glow times between charging are quite short and he would agree that they are most likely to be effective once the glow is muted.
Theses days Ian ties them by coating ther inner mylar core with glo-powder and covering that with pearlescent mylar. This has the advantage that the glow times are much longer( up to 12 hours for green, less for other colours) and the glow is nicely muted down by the mylar, almost like a see through backbone effect.

This example is one of Ian's favourites, blue powder under a purple mylar.

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWES.
PATTERN 2.

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWES
PATTERN 3

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWES
PATTERN 4And the original Black Adder

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWES
PATTERN 5

THE GHOSTBUSTER .....LUMINOUS SNAKE

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWES
PATTERN 6
I got hold of some unusual speckled silver mylar from the states.
I am using it for an Alex variation.

Speckled Alex snake

Hook- B990
Butt- Red Holo mylar
Body- Speckled silver mylar over 25lb braid
Hair wing- Black Arctic fox highlighted with dynamite flash
Over wing- peackock sword
Cheeks- red African parrot tail
Jungle cock to finish

Ian

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWES
PATTERN 7
The Spate Special snake

I designed this fly as a first line of attack for fishing the fly in coloured water during the first stages of a falling spate. I have nothing against spinning as a fishing method but it’s not for me and I wanted a fly that that could reduce the odds in difficult conditions.
The result is a highly visible fly 75mm in length that is very effective when fished on an intermediate line. Often, in heavy clearing water, the fish are found close to the nearside bank away from the current conserving energy and this fly does “the business” right back to the rod tip.

Dressing

Hook Kamasan B990 size 10/12
Small gold mylar over a 75mm Braid snake fly mount, the tail whisks are yellow Arctic fox with 3 strands of orange Rumpf saltwater flash. The hair wings are orange Llama and yellow Arctic fox highlighted with 2 stands on each wing of orange Rumpf saltwater flash and one strand of gold mirror flash.. AA grade jungle cock cheeks finish the fly off

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWESThe low water snake

PATTERN 8
This snake is a little unusual and has a quirky colour combination with silver body natural squirrel hairwings and gold flash with a red head but did very well for me two years ago in dead summer low conditions late at night with a fast sinker and 4ft leader

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 2

TUNIWES
PATTERN 9Carmarthenshire silver back

This is also a good summer low, late night snake named after a maintenance fitter who works for me who is built like a bear, loves sea trout fishing and hails from Carmarthen ;D I think the badger side hackle is the trigger on this one

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 3

PATTERN 1
HOWELL. A selection of snakes
Here are a few of the snake flies I use on the Towy. My favourite is the black bear snake (middle right) which has caught some nice sewin at Whitemill.

DRESSINGS
Hook: Kamasan B990 size 8
Mount: Sportfish 25lb Braided Monofilament (3 inches approx)
Body: Small Silver Mylar Tubing/ Black/pearl
Underwing: Silver Krystal Flash/none
Overwing: Black Bucktail/fox/Black bear
Eyes: Jungle Cock/none
Flash: A few strands of Krystal flash

Last edited:
S

silverinvicta

SECTION 3

PATTERN 2
HOWELL ...
Inspired by some of the patterns on this section of the forum I came up with this new snake pattern tonight. I especially like the use of red guinea fowl in some of the patterns (esp. Daz's flies) and tried it on a snake. If you hold the pattern up to the light the tail hackle makes the silhouette look like a small fish.

DRESSING
Hook: Kamasan B990 size 8
Mount: Sportfish 25lb Braided Monofilament (3 inches approx)
Rear Hackle: Red Guinea Fowl
Body: Small Silver Mylar Tubing
Underwing: Silver Krystal Flash
Overwing: Black Bucktail
Eyes: Jungle Cock
Thread: Rear: Danvilles 6/0 Red, Front: Danvilles 6/0 Claret

S

silverinvicta

SECTION 3

PATTERN 3
HOWELL BLACK BEAR SNAKE...Here's one of my favourite snakes - using black bear for the wing

DRESSING
BODY - Silver Mylar Tube.
WING- Black Bear
Throat hackle - Blue Bucktail / Fox
Silk - Black
Eyes JC

S

silverinvicta

Kinky Scooby Snakes

Kinky Scooby Snakes

SECTION 4

PATTERNS 1-5

DRESSER-MathewS....

I fish scoobie snakes. I'd like to share some of the thoughts that I've put into my scoobies. I've no doubts my ideas are not original, but having arrived here myself, I've found the rewards very exciting.

They look a bit odd don't they? :eek::D Ignoring the actual tyings, it's the hook area that I have focussed on.

All of the scooby snakes I've seen tyed by others have used straight eye hooks, whether singles, doubles or trebles. Straight eyes just look so right when loaded into the tube, helping achieve the profiles that, well, just look so right.

I use down eye hooks drawn from my coarse fishing experience, and I'm sure you can see the "kinked" effect that this produces at the business end of the snakes. Most notably in the first image I loaded. This "kinked" effect has completely changed the hook-up ratio to strikes from fish.

When an object (your finger, or mouth of a fish) comes into contact with the point of the hook, it instantly becomes difficult to avoid a deeper hook hold. In fact, just handling the snakes is a finger nipping business. If you apply any pressure to the hook point, then the softness of the scooby snake allows the "kink" to bend upward. This causes the point of the hook to align more perfectly with the object it is penetrating. The more you pull (and it only takes a very gentle pull), the better and better becomes the penetration angle. Wheras with a straight eyed hook, the moment that you apply pressure to the hook point, the scooby snake angles upward and reduces the penetration angle of the hook point. It's always working away.

I wish I could write proper english :eek: I've explained as best I can the rationale behind the down eye. Perhaps someone can help if you can see what I've tried to say? It doesn't look pretty, but it's been very very effective for the hook-up ratio to nips and strikes.

I've also opted for quite small single short shank hooks. Mine are Kamasan B170's in a 10's. I took the "small" theme from grayling fishing. With their boney mouths and erratic fight behavior (similar to sea trout), grayling are notorious for escaping a good hook hold. Reducing the hook size from a 16's to 20's results in many more fish in the net. Whether this be due to the reduced gape of the hook, or perhaps some slight leverage effect, I don't know, but it works and gives a superb hook hold, and was my rationale for the hook I have chosen. I crush the barb on all of them, to further help penetration, and stick with singles once again, because I believe they provide better penetration.

Some notes. I dress the bodies of the tubes short (tinsels and wires). This is to make sure that at the hook end of the tube, the suppleness of the scooby tube is not compromised by having materials wrapped around it (it's amazing how much different tinsel makes). The kink effect still works to its optimum and the leverage effect is reduced. It also causes the snakes to appear to have a tag/tail. For example, on the silver stoat snakes that I tie, I use a yellow scoobie, in-keeping with the gp topping of the original.

I tie some of them very small and have no body materials on the tube, using the colour of the scoobie snake as the colour of the body. The smallest I've used is about half an inch, as the supplness of the scoobie is still there. They do however look very odd with a size 10's hook. I've not experimented with other hooks yet for these smaller size scoobie snakes.

I don't use braid through the tube. I simply pull out the hook, thread my line through the tube, tie the hook on directly and then slide it back into the tube. Again, suppleness (is that even a word? :eek:).

Just one last very obvious one. When making scoobie snakes, make sure that the hook eye of your chosen hook (whether straight eye or down eye) does actually fit inside the tube first. I tied up a whole batch once only to discover that the diameter inside the tube would not allow my hooks to sit