The South Devon Rivers

luap

There you go , fill your boots !
Thanks Tandem.
Looking at Hoppy’s Guidance and Polite Requests for the coming Season I support the principal that anglers who benefit should also contribute. Not too sure though about reporting every session. I had about 60 night sessions last season which would have been rather a lot from one angler on one thread. I sense that Teign anglers are a bit publicity averse though there are plenty of facilities available for visitors. Anyone wanting Teign permit info could send me a personal message.
Teign sea trout are caught from March, though April is a saner time to start. It produces the odd big fish but the average size is quite low and 4lbs would be a good fish. It clears quickly after a spate though not quite so quickly at the downstream end.
I would like to see some postings from Avon & Erme anglers.
:)Salmon fishing starts on Monday. Have a good season everyone

tandem

Salmon fishing starts ? Not for tandem it doesn't . All seems a bit ' Scott of the Antartic ' to me . I shall wait for spring , late spring at that . You will be called Nanook of the Teign . :)

luap

Not me. I won't start till mid March and may wait till after Easter. Will stick with the chub for now.
I intend to start a thread (if no one else has) on early fishing nearer the time.

devonavon

have moved away now, but fished the avon for many years, and look forward to visits back every year. not really a prolific river for peal or salmon, and would certainly wait until late May before seriously trying for either. Middle reaches are difficult fly water at night, and the wading can be a bit dodgy, so most of my fish have been on small rapalas/abu's during the day; 1-2 days after a spate.

it's such a beautiful river, that just being there is enough for me, a big fish is a real bonus. 2-3 a year for the past 5-6 years has kept the fire burning for me!!
:)

luap

I had a walk by the Avon with the wife last week. It is a very beautiful river. I know the estuary a bit but upstream is very different. See below. Luap.

Last edited:

Aled

Studied at Seale-Hayne College, Newton Abbott for 3 years, and lived at Trusham for a term, the Teign looked a cracking looking river i would class it as "intimate".
There was a chap who came to fish the River Tywi every summer who had a season ticket on the the Devon Avon and had managed some cracking sea trout there (i think he had managed a couple over the magic 10lb). Havent seen him for a few years now.
Tight Lines
Aled

tandem

A lovely picture , never fished the Avon , that needs sorting out .
We do get some big fish down here , not on the scale of the Welsh rivers but its a rare year when a fish or two over ten pounds isn't landed on the Dart .;)
Some years are better than others . I recall 2008 was good .

takethebait

The Avon is private is it not ?
Know the Estuary well coming in past Charlaborough right ?

shocker

Very Big Cornish Sea Trout - one of a kind
Whats the Teign fishing like at Teignmouth itself?I visited a couple of years ago and saw a very narrow channel at low tide and some interesting looking flats toward the bridge.....is it worth a go?And if so,how and when?

thanks in advance,you luvverly devon types (not emmets at all,honestly,who'd say such a thing?)

:D:D:D:D

shocks

stig

They call us......

They call us......

Grockels mate- so I wouldn't worry too much:D:D

tandem

The Teign estuary fishes well for Bass , I often go down and fish the Teignmouth side above the Shaldon bridge . I use a Yo Zuri mag minnow or an Aile Magnet , I suspect they are the same . Take a nail file to the lip and take a couple of mm off , stops them running too deep . 8lb braid and 2ft of mono trace , bobs your uncle .
Can be a bit hit and miss but very good if the fish show up .
You can catch on fly , cabbage weed can be a pain during the summer , fish through it . Avoid mussel beds and peeler pots
Be very careful , the mud is deep and dangerous in places , if in doubt , DONT !
You will see sea trout and salmon , never yet caught either in many hours of fishing . Monster mullet mooching around .
Beneath the viewpoint on the Teignmouth-Newton road is a good spot to start , shale mud mix makes for reasonably safe wading but confirm that for yourself . Safety first .

Nightfisherman

First of the season

First of the season

Just back from my 4th - brief- outing of the week (Plym & Tavy) the first 3 being very clear and cold but tonight held a bit more cloud for longer. Started with a waddie on the point, changed to a WMD and was just about giving up the ghost of not seeing or touching a fish before I have to go off for a couple of weeks work. Anyway decided to give a surface lure a swim as last knockings - lost the first one tied on another and was just about to go when all went solid. Fish on - deep hard runs so knew it was a good fish. Result 4lb 6 fish (best landed so far although I have knocked a better fish off with the net). Unfortunately it had really swallowed the surface lure and was too damaged by the time I got it out to be released.

a bit concerned about the vent it looked a little raw to me -any comments welcome.

a happy
Nightfisherman

Last edited:

stig

That's a cracker.....

That's a cracker.....

mate well done:D I'm just back from my 2nd Fowey trip and I thought I was keen:D Nothing to report from me though.

DAZ

Beauty!!! - Well done mate :)

DAZ

PS....The vent looks ok to me.