The South Devon Rivers

Cornishyaker

Anybody been out ?
Not yet, but really looking forward to the start of the season on April 15th. Fingers crossed this year is a good one.

anyone had any success at night in April? my earliest is May 5th - was a warm night though.

Tight lines to anyone heading out!

Silkwood

Very much looking forward to this season.
After a few years absence due to losing my fishing and the limitations imposed by the advance of time, I had the wonderful news that I will be allowed to fish under supervision for sea trout again! Of course, visits will be limited, but at least I will be wetting a line and have been building a new 9 1/2' rod, just for the new water.
Renewed my licence online today and will have to give the fly wallet a good sort out.

I haven't heard of anything being landed yet but a friend has made a couple of exploratory night trips and says that some fresh sea trout were crashing around in the lower reaches of the river so that is encouraging.
The earliest sea trout I personally have landed was on St.Patrick's Day (17th March) 1975 when the season started on the 3rd, but other club members have caught them almost from the off. It largely depends on water levels early on and so far it's looking good!

Tight Lines to everyone for this season!

wm+

teififlies

Very much looking forward to this season.
After a few years absence due to losing my fishing and the limitations imposed by the advance of time, I had the wonderful news that I will be allowed to fish under supervision for sea trout again! Of course, visits will be limited, but at least I will be wetting a line and have been building a new 9 1/2' rod, just for the new water.
Renewed my licence online today and will have to give the fly wallet a good sort out.

I haven't heard of anything being landed yet but a friend has made a couple of exploratory night trips and says that some fresh sea trout were crashing around in the lower reaches of the river so that is encouraging.
The earliest sea trout I personally have landed was on St.Patrick's Day (17th March) 1975 when the season started on the 3rd, but other club members have caught them almost from the off. It largely depends on water levels early on and so far it's looking good!

Tight Lines to everyone for this season!

wm+
Good news wm+ that you are able to get out fishing once again, enjoy your season.
What blank is your new rod?

Silkwood

Thanks for your good wishes teififly-I have the growing feeling that this will prove to be a good season. The river levels are very good at the moment which should encourage early fish to run and more rain is promised for the next day or two.

I have been working for most of the day on the new rod. All the metal parts were finished turned this morning and the cork handle which was glued on yesterday has been ground to shape. I turned the spacer from a piece of timber salvaged from the wreck of the Metta Catharina Von Flensburg, which sank in 1786, so it will be a bit unique! The rod is built cane and I have rated it at #6/7. It is a staggered ferrule design which means that the top section is longer than the butt, as designed by Charles Ritz in his book "A fly fishers life". The ferrules were made from drawn brass tubing and the end button from ebony.
It is now upstairs in the "rod room" awaiting ringing and finishing. I will put agates on the tip and butt with American pattern snakes for intermediates. Will post some pictures when it's finished. It test cast quite nicely with plenty of power up front and I am looking forward to feeling a good strong peal on the end!
Am thinking of getting a new sink tip line but not sure which one to go for yet.

Kind regards,

wm+

Devon Minnow

Planning to try and get out next week as I'm back from London for a week. Water levels looked good and coupled with spring tides and higher water temps at the end of March/start of this week should have encouraged a few fish into the lower/middle reaches.

Looks dry for the next two weeks so fingers crossed for some warmish temps at night and a few fish around albeit this early in the year!

Can't wait.

DM

tandem

I have had some nice fish in April , my earliest was April 20th . Last year was a little challenging to say the least . I hope we see an improvement in the number of fish returning .

Devon Minnow

This year proving difficult too Tandem! Walked the plym several times during the past week and no sign of any peal- some rain badly needed as well as a shift in wind direction.

tandem

And so it begins ... had a small fish , and I mean small , last week . There are fish right through the Teign already . I have seen fish myself as far as Bridford and a couple have been taken off the UTFA . A word of caution . The late spring cold weather has brought the usual problem with fungal disease . Lets hope it doesn't turn into something worse .
A friend has caught a decent fish on the Middle Dart so lets hope things are looking up there .

tandem

A decent fish from the Middle Teign on Saturday of about 3.5 lbs . Some fish there but that water is cold . Westerly please !
Another two on Monday 8th , 3&2 . I was surprised to catch anything , bright and cold .

Last edited:

tandem

Had about half a dozen fish now . With the exception of the first all have been in the 3-4 range . The first fish seem to have run through the lower river now and the pools are quite quiet . All fish have been to singles size 4/6 .

tandem

All is strangely quiet . I would have expected a lot of fish to run in the recent high water but that does not seem to be the case . I shall be giving it a go over the weekend .

reservoirobert

Hi Tandem , do you ever fish the Right Hand bank ( looking downstream ) above Chudleigh weir , I saw an advert in the field when passing a few years back and assumed it was for sale , a Mr Day used to own it and when we stayed in one of his holiday cottages we used to be able to fish it.

tandem

I fish the road bank , ltfa water . It hasn't done me much good lately as the main summer run has failed to materialise . There are very few fish indeed . Worrying .