Trying for my first season

Dai82

Hi everyone, my name is Dai, living in Bridgend South Wales, last year was my first full season fly fishing, always done sea fishing but with bust work and family commitments I found the river more convenient, then really enjoyed the light gear and being on the move aspect of it. Had a regular trout licence and caught a few fish.
But this year I've set myself the target of catching a few Sewin, I've obviously bought the appropriate licence, so now I'm hoping I can tap into some of the knowledge here and help my wangle a few out.

Thanks
Dai

haptonlad

Welcome to the forum Dai:)
I'm sure they'll be a few river near where you live that you can fish for sea trout & salmon.
There plenty of threads you can scroll through on this forum, it's not as active as it once were, but I'm sure someone will give you some advice on the rivers you intend to fish.
It's best practice is to go & do a recce on the pools you intend to fish in day time before you tackle them at night, it's a totally different fishing in the dark.
Tight lines Paul.

sewinfly

Hi everyone, my name is Dai, living in Bridgend South Wales, last year was my first full season fly fishing, always done sea fishing but with bust work and family commitments I found the river more convenient, then really enjoyed the light gear and being on the move aspect of it. Had a regular trout licence and caught a few fish.
But this year I've set myself the target of catching a few Sewin, I've obviously bought the appropriate licence, so now I'm hoping I can tap into some of the knowledge here and help my wangle a few out.

Thanks
Dai
What rivers will you be fishing Dai.

Sewinfly. ..........

Dai82

Thanks the for the replies, yes fly fishing at night will be a challenge, trying to cast the bigger flies will be different too.
I'll be fishing the afan, its not a huge river but hopefully I'll be able to tempt a few out ?

weatherman

Thanks the for the replies, yes fly fishing at night will be a challenge, trying to cast the bigger flies will be different too.
I'll be fishing the afan, its not a huge river but hopefully I'll be able to tempt a few out ��
Welcome to the forum. It's not as much of a challenge as you think. For the bigger flies/lures use a shorter leader than you would normally use, say something around 6'-7' at most, sea trout ain't leader-shy under the cover of darkness unless it's a very bright moonlit night, The river you'll be fishing won't really be pitch-black unless you are up near Afan Argoed (less light pollution) & even then it's not that dark. Tight lines to you for the coming season. Report back on here & let us all know how you get on.

Last edited:

T7

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. For what it’s worth, on small and overgrown rivers I use short rods and overline by one or even two line weights. Typically a 9 foot 6/7 rod and an 8 weight line. Perfect for those 10-15 yard flicks under the bushes

Dai82

Thanks again for further replies and help. I haven't tried up by afan argoed as yet, I've been meaning too, but not sure of places to access the river, or is it just a case of walking from pontrhydyfen, I don't know. Hoping to get out tomorrow evening all being well that is. If I do I'll post how I get on ?