Woodmill Pool Swaythling

B

bungle

Hi eleslieevans,

We are booked there for the 19th June.:)

Ive never fished it before,but well let you know how we get on.

Nice pics by the way,what month were they caught?

Ian

Re: Pics of sea trout

Re: Pics of sea trout

Hi Bungle,
Good Luck!
Are you fishing Day or night?
I have been fishing Woodmill for the last 16 years.
We have had some fantastic sport during this,and have numerous Double figure sea trout Caught and lost,And many over 6 lb.The only problem there in the last couple of years is the flow that goes through the main gates gushes through so fast that it makes it extremely hard to fish at low tide. I am hoping that this year they have all three sluices up and working properly!
The fish in the pics were caught in July and August.
Given the right conditions We've had fish from the beginning of June onwards.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Many Thanks !
Les

B

bungle

Hi Bungle,
Good Luck!
Are you fishing Day or night?
Hi,

we have booked it for the night,I think the tide will be around 10pm ish.
What would be the key stage of the tide in your experience???

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,
We seem to have most success on the rising and dropping tide especially if the current is hammering through, and at low tide if you can fish a fly slow enough.
But saying that every time it seems to be different.Sometimes high tide can pay dividends!
I normally have four rods set up (floater,sink tip,intermedate and wetcel 2) and use what ever will get down a bit pending on the current,as it changes with the automatic sluice gates.
When the tide is up we normally fish up to a 2inch waddington on intermediate with a dropper, and fish deep.
succesful flies are Silver Stoat, Alexandra,Teal blue and Silver<and i have had a lot of success on a long shank 5mm Gold Head Gold Ribbed Hares Ear,but make sure it is tied on a strong hook as I have lost some big fish straightening the hook.
The tide normally starts pushing into the pool 2 hours before the first high ,then the second high tide is normally approx 1 hour and 45 mins after this,so by this time it will be dark and will be full high tide.
Well I hope this gives you some insight for your trip to woodmill.
Tight lines!
If you require any further info please do not hesitate to contact me
Many Thanks !
Les

Last edited:
B

bungle

Hi Les,

Thanks for the info,I'm really looking forward to this trip now...:):):)

Ian

camocarpmug

Looking fwrd to 19th.

I used to fish the pool a lot but its been a while since ive been down. I always liked june, there arnt the numbers of fish that there are later in the season but the average size is much better and they are all sparkling.

Les your advice mirrors my own thoughts. I have found rising or dropping tide productive and actually low tide the best as the fish are more concntrated. However it appears a bit more tricky at low tide now with the changes to the sluice gates. High tide fishing deep and slow always seemed to through up the better fish though.

Be interesting to get back down there and see hows is. I was spurred on to return by a friend who had 6 doubles
in 6 trip last year

Last edited:
Hi Ian ,
I hope you had a good night!
How did you do on the 19th at the pool?
And Were the sluice gates working properly?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Les

B

bungle

Hi Ian ,
I hope you had a good night!
How did you do on the 19th at the pool?
And Were the sluice gates working properly?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Les

Hi Les,

Wow what a river..:)

We arrived at the pool about 9pm when the tide was still flooding.Setting up we could hear and see several good fish moving.
Unfortunately our other rod had an accident and couldn't fish,so only me and ccm fished.
Started fishing at around 10.30pm,but it soon became apparent that there was a huge amount of loose weed flowing into the pool,making most of the pool almost unfishable..:(
Any way we plugged away with deep sinkers to get under the weed,and Ross was soon rewarded with a fish a little over 2lb,quickly followed by another around the same weight.
Then as the ebb started i hooked and lost what felt like a good fish,followed by another good take.
By this time it was turned 12pm and the ebb tide had really started to pick up.I then started to lift into my next cast and almost certainly the biggest sea trout Ive ever hooked was on..:eek:..I never saw this fish,it just shot off to the other side of the pool taking half the backing off the reel,unfortunately the hook pulled after about 10 minuits...:(

It then went very quiet for a couple of hours and the weed was getting worse.Ross Had another fish about 2pm and soon after i landed a fish of about 3lb,followed by another by Ross of 4lb.

Just before day break ross lost the second big fish of the night...:(...and 10 minutes later hooked another that was even bigger,that fish was on for ages before pulling out again..:(

Fantastic place to fish hopefully well go back to actually land one of those big fish..:rolleyes:

Ian

Last edited:
Woodmill pool

Woodmill pool

Hi Ian,

Well done! Mate, Nice pics!

It seems like you both had a very good night down at the pool, and I’m sorry to hear about the monsters that were lost. It sounds like many of our stories that I can recall. I had one on for three quarters of an hour there one day just before it got dark, which I never see, and it was undoubtedly the biggest sea trout I had ever hooked. Just when I thought it was ready for the net it made a tremendous run, taking me to the backing and went over the falls out to the estuary , and when I recovered my line the hook was still attached. I have seen them in there during the day 15lb plus, and dread to think what size the ones were that got away!

Where in the pool did you have the most success, and what were the most successful flies?

We are going down next Sunday night, which I am really getting excited about, and hope that I have some similar stories to tell, hopefully about the monster that didn’t get away!

It was nice reading your story about Woodmill, and look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Many thanks!

Les

B

bungle

Hi Les,

Forgot to say,still only one sluice gate open.I see what you mean about the flow belting through...:eek:

The weed problem for most of the night meant we could only fish the slipway and either side of the flow by the hut.

The three biggies were all hooked on 1 3/4 inch plastic tubes on fast sinkers.The rest were on a mix of gold heads,snakes and doubles on sink tips and full floaters.

I hope you do well on your visit,and that the weed flushes out a bit.Let us know how you get on next week.:)

(High tide)You can see the weed floating about in the slack off the flow.:(

Ian

Last edited:

camocarpmug

Glad you enjoyed it Ian

Few more pics

Was an eventful night shame about the weed because im sure we could have had a few more.

Gutted about loosing two biggies on the bounce, the second was the biggest seatrout i have ever hooked. Not going speculate how big but i got a very good look at it so i know deep down it was the fish of a lifetime.

As usual with the pool there was the odd suprise anyone caught a saltwater grayling?

Attachments

Last edited:
B

bungle

Hi Les,

How did you get on Sunday night?

Has the weed flushed out the pool yet?

I tried to book another date,but it is fully booked up now.:( ill definitely book it up again for next season though.:D

Ian

Hi Ian,
Still weed was a majopr problem, but quite a result when we could get a fly past it !
8 and quarter lb,
5 and quarter lb
4 and half lb
4 lb x 2
3 and half lb and two tiddlers and two very large fish lost.
I,ll give u the full story later with some pics
Get back soon with them
Les

woodmill pool

woodmill pool

Hi Ian
the weed was horendous at times. It was a struggle to get under it.Before midnight four were lost 2 being very large sea trout and two tiny ones landed.I had my largest fish just before and at the rising tide about half two to half three where they went potty for an hour>my colleauge had two during this time also. I took all mine on a sink tip with either a 2 inch waddington or alexandria double size 10. Then as the tide came up the weed came back again which made it impossible to fish once again.

I have another session booked in four weeks and hope that the weed problem has stopped!

Find some pics attached to next post

B

bungle

Great report Les,

I'm glad you had a good night.

Let us know how you get on in August...:)

Ian

B

bungle

Hi Les,

Have you fished the pool recently,or had any feedback.It would be good to know as we have managed to get a date this Saturday night..:):):)

All the best,

Ian

camocarpmug

Mate of mine fished end of july not sure of total numbers but i think they all did ok with fish upto 7lb and a 12lb salmon on a 5wt and goldhead in the morning.