Woodmill Pool Swaythling

Aled

Great report and some good fishing. Nead to let my brother know about that place.
Tight Lines
Aled

rodandwhippet

Great write up Tom, certainly did the pool justice, what can I say - What an awesome place! It was a pleasure to fish and witness some bumper sea trout being landed, fair play Ross your knowledge of the beat is unquestionable and underlined by the results, top night;)...

Another woodmill experience

Another woodmill experience

Well done chaps cracking fish sounds like you all had a fantastic night. I,m down on the 25th september,I'll let you know how we get on !!:):)

mackerel

Les, fished it last week and did ok mainly small stuff. Its the first time I fished it and at high water there were HUGE numbers of big fish crashing around. How to you catch them when it is like this as the water depth must be 5m or so!!! Any advice much appreciated. thanks. Lovely place

Rob

Woodmill Pool

Woodmill Pool

Hi All,
We fished the Pool on 25th September, and all had another fantastic night.
I had the bonus of a twelve pound salmon at night on a hares ear. it had been in a while but it went like hell! it took half an hour to revive it, and it swam off safely.
The seatrout didn't stop coming all night.
8 1/2 lb
5lb x 2
4lb x4
and with a total of 15 with some in the 2- 2 1/2lb.
unfortunately this was our last date this year, but i'm sure we'll be back next year!
I only managed a few photos, as my camera packed up, so I've put on the ones i did manage to take

Attachments

T7

Very interesting to hear people catching seatrout on nymphs. One guy who fishes on the Ribble does well with Montana nymphs (not marabou tailed). It's not really a tactic I have tried or considered before. Anyone else had success using nymphs like this?

B

bungle

Sounds like you had a Fantastic night again Les...Well done mate...:)

Ian

mackerel

Les- nice one thanks. I think I need to get a faster sinking line or a Teeny. fishing it again end Oct, hopefully there will be a few ones that aren't too stale about. cheers

Rob

denfish

Sea trout on nymphs

Sea trout on nymphs

T7
Have caught ST on Black & Peacock Spider on a size 10 but tied short (12) on the Taw during the day.
I knew a lad who wouldn't fish at night on his own so fished by day on the Taw and occasionally the Mole ( by invite ) and his best season was 70 ST.
Denfish

denfish

Sea Trout on nymphs

Sea Trout on nymphs

In the November edition of Fly Fishing & Fly Tying is an article on night fishing using a size 14 dry Pheasant Tail on the Annan.
Denfish

sewinbasher

Very interesting to hear people catching seatrout on nymphs. One guy who fishes on the Ribble does well with Montana nymphs (not marabou tailed). It's not really a tactic I have tried or considered before. Anyone else had success using nymphs like this?
It's not uncommon for grayling anglers to pick them up on bugs at this time of year on the Welsh Dee.

Alwyn

I've managed to book the pool for 2 nights this Summer and these will be my first ever attempts to fish for sea trout. I'm asking a long time in advance I know - but then, I am very excited! I've found the tide times for the 2 dates I have which are below. Any ideas of what bearing these will have on the fishing / is one night better than the other / should I expect the 2 nights to be markedly different based on these tides / will they influence tactics, and if so, how? Sorry if any of this is obvious to you guys but after many years of chasing brownies and grayling, the time has come for me to try for sea trout and I have limited knowledge of them to say the least.

18 June
Low 2110 1.2m
High 0334 4.2m
Low 0935 1.1m

24 July
High 2201 4.2m
Low 0355 1.1m
High 1030 4.2m

All the best,

Alwyn

russ1610

Alwyn,
I know nothing of this pool other than what I have read on this post. To be honest I hate you, Ha ha, It sounds like a wonderful place to fish for Large Seatrout and Salmon. Looking forward to hopefully an eventful report from you the day after you have caught some really nice fish Good Luck, wish I was with you but it's right the other end of the country for me now.