Woodmill Pool Swaythling

Alwyn

Alwyn,
I know nothing of this pool other than what I have read on this post. To be honest I hate you, Ha ha, It sounds like a wonderful place to fish for Large Seatrout and Salmon. Looking forward to hopefully an eventful report from you the day after you have caught some really nice fish Good Luck, wish I was with you but it's right the other end of the country for me now.
I hope you're right Russ, and I'm very happy to be hated provided it's because I have some excellent fishing to look forward to! I'll definitely post a report, but first some people need to tell me about what the tide times mean and what the hell I do when I get there!

sewinfly

Hi Alwyn

Will post those flies to you soon mate I have not forgotten.Was out today with the d/h but not a touch from a silver tourist mate.
Water was great.

Spencer........

B

bungle

Hi Alwyn,

Good luck on the 18th June.
Don't worry to much about the state of the tide,just keep changing tactics through the night to the conditions at the time,as it constantly changes all the time anyway.

Still waiting for my dates conformation,but will keep you posted..:)

Ian

Last edited:

silverflash

2010 Season

2010 Season

Anyone fished this pool yet this season - I've got a date coming up next week and I wondered if any of you have any news.......??:)

silverflash

Alwyn, good luck - I hope it goes well; I've heard there are a few fish around..... I'd pop down to see how you are doing, (I live locally) but instead, I am heading off to fish in Devon that night!! - Perhaps you can post how well you got on sometime over the weekend.....?:)

Alwyn

Sure, I'll definitely post any results good or bad. Having never tried for sea trout before, I'm excited but not over-expecting any great results.

B

bungle

Hi Alwyn/silver fish,

We had a session down there in late May...:)
The river was quite dirty after some heavy rain,it was hard going but we did catch a few upto 4 lb.
Ill try to post a couple of pics when i get chance later..:cool:

Ian

Last edited:

silverflash

Hi Bungle,

I've never fished this pool - am looking forward to the experience hugely next week!

Fortunately I am fishing with 3 friends who know the pool well but..... just out of interest:

What was the state of the tide when you fished? - I had a brief look this afternoon whilst passing; it was high tide and there was quite a bit of weed/branches/old bottles drifting round and around!!:(

How do you fish this in the dark whilst trying to avoid all this debris???! :confused:

At low tide does the water circulate differently? Is it easier?

I saw a couple of fish show, but they were a bit too salmon like, but who knows.

Well done catching the other night.:)

Alwyn

Alwyn, good luck - I hope it goes well; I've heard there are a few fish around..... I'd pop down to see how you are doing, (I live locally) but instead, I am heading off to fish in Devon that night!! - Perhaps you can post how well you got on sometime over the weekend.....?:)
I've just arrived home from my first attempt at sea trout fishing and am pleased to report that I've caught my first ever sea trout - 3 in fact! All about 3lbs+ each. We caught 7 between 3 of us and I lost a nice fish with one of our party losing a very large fish. Best fish of the night was about 5lbs.

Now I know what all the fuss is about and I can't wait for the next trip! Snake flies on an intermediate line with a slow figure of eight did the trick through the night, switching to a sinking line during the scond half, and when it started to get light I caught one on a size 10 single Alexandra.

My thanks to Spencer (Sewinfly) for tying some flies for me - they seem to work.

Alwyn

S

silverinvicta

Well done indeed Alwyn :D It's some buzz ain't it..:p

Nice one..

Si......

well done! I'm glad you enjoyed it
I'm fishing there Monday night.
Have they fixed the sluice gate yet as only the right hand side sluice was open and the EA were there Tuesdaywho said they are trying to fix the main middle sluice,the pool seems to fish better with the middle or left hand sluice open.

Alwyn

It seemed to be just the main sluice that was open. I didn't realise that it switched off and on all the time. The fishing was better once the sluice was off and there just seemed to be too much flow when it was on. The mouth of the smaller river fished very well, casting to the right hand side of the flow into the back eddy.

B

bungle

It seemed to be just the main sluice that was open. I didn't realise that it switched off and on all the time. The fishing was better once the sluice was off and there just seemed to be too much flow when it was on.
Hi Alwyn,
There must be a problem with the sluices.....:mad:...this needs sorting as its impossible for the fish to settle(and to fish) when the gate fully opens and then fully closes every 5 minutes.....:mad::mad::mad:
I will speak to Julie Goodwin on Monday to find out whats going on.

PS ..Did you manage to catch a few?

Ian

Alwyn

Hi Alwyn,
There must be a problem with the sluices.....:mad:...this needs sorting as its impossible for the fish to settle(and to fish) when the gate fully opens and then fully closes every 5 minutes.....:mad::mad::mad:
I will speak to Julie Goodwin on Monday to find out whats going on.

PS ..Did you manage to catch a few?

Ian
Yes - see my report above. I got 3 and lost one and we ended up with 7 fish to 5lbs between 3 of us. I'm glad to hear that the open and closing of the sluice is unusual as it really made the fishing that bit more complicated.

B

bungle

Sorry Alwyn,
I didn't see your report above..:eek:...Well done getting a few..:)

Ian

Hi All who fish Woodmill pool,

WEll Ian you are right it was the same.We had the most stressfull night ever at Woodmill.
We only managed 1 fish at least 8.5lb plus (decide yourself when i post the picture later ) and I lost 1 small one .in a clump of weed.This was as the tide was dropping.Once the tide dropped thats when we had our job cut out, it was impossible to fish the pool, only 1 part was fishable we we had to implement a rosta system to do this.We had a few more takes but didnt connect.

This has got to be sorted!!

In the morning we spoke to Dean and the EA who turned up, He said that the centre and side sluice were being repaired and would not be ready till the middle of July, and also that they would try to regulate the flow, but he didn't sound confident.Dean said send David Drew e-mails or telephone him regarding our concerns and perhaps this will get the management and the EA into gear. come on chaps all get emailing his contact details are listed below.

I,m sure some of you have other dates, I have 9th July if i arrive and it has not been sorted i will ring Dean to survey the situation to cancell it.If all of you who are fishing also state this: David might get his act together knowing that they will lose revenue.

This is a fantastic place to fish, but management is letting us down.

I Hope it works.
Les

David Drew

Operations Manager

SWAC and Woodmill Outdoor Activities Centres & Canoe Shop

Sport and Recreation Services

Southampton City Council

E: david.drew@southampton.gov.uk

T: 02380 915759 (SWAC)

T: 02380 915747 (Woodmill)

M: 07747 037058

Last edited:

silverflash

Hi Les,

I fished it last night - I couldn't agree with you more!!

The problem is to do with the sluice - it kicks in and out intermittently all night. When it kicked in, the pool started to resemble the equivalent of the wash coming from the propeller of a big ship!!! (in low tide, that is, in high tide, it wasn't so obvious.)

When the sluice stopped, the whole place quietened down for 5 or so minutes - and this was the best time to try and get a line out, before the wash from the sluice then kicked in again!!

I did catch two - around 2 - 3 lbs and one other was caught, but it got really quite disheartening.

Whilst this was the first time I've fished it, I was with two friends who had fished it before - and they said they had never known it so bad!!!:(

I will be contacting the names you suggest, as I have a second night booked in July and if it's still like this it will be poor.

We all need to contact them with our concerns!!!

Hi silverflash,
I'm sending an email now,don't forget to mention that you may cancell your next visit if it is not sorted, the more the merrier